Monday, July 7, 2008

Crazy day

Today was so nuts I had to take a long nap this afternoon! This morning started out with a photographer from the Daily Gazette newspaper coming over to my house (that's right, I'm going to be famous, woohoo!). She was a blast to work with, and I'm really excited to see how the photos came out.

Then I went to the bank, then the pet store where I used to work to pick up some crickets. I took along the bearded dragon plushie that was finally sold before packing it up in its box to send out. The owner of the store fell in love (she breeds bearded dragons) and wants me to make a bunch of things to sell on consignment there - lizards, frogs, fish tank set ups, hedgehogs, you name it. I love that place and it would be great exposure, can't wait to start making things!

And THEN I went to a woman's house to purchase a sewing machine. Found her ad on craigslist (my first craigslist experience, gulp), threw a few emails back and forth, and it turns out she had a 1920s model (turned electric) Singer, small and portable, in great working condition. It's not quite as sexy as my 1947 model, but definitely beautiful and exciting. It also doesn't go backwards (!!!) which will take some getting used to (I keep reach for a lever that isn't there), but I'll manage. I'm so happy to have a sexy little machine to take to school with me! So yeah, you want pictures:
All of my (working) machines. The one in the middle is the love of my life. The plastic one I only use for zig zag stitches, and the one on the right is the new addition.
This must be how guys feel about their cars, right? I emailed singer to get the model number and hopefully get a manual, then I need to buy a bunch of bobbins (they're strange, the shuttle ones, tried out winding one and it was so neat!) and needles. Otherwise the machine comes with all the other parts.

And then I got to etsy for even more fun. Was on the front page and made a sale!

Life is so awesome right now. The blueberries and raspberries are getting ripe, I think I'm going to go pick some.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

love the new addition to your sewing machine collection...yes, I think this is how guys feel about their car collections. So, go ahead and put the pedal to the metal with your new singer! :)

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous sewing machine, what a great find!

Jeannie said...

I love your new machine! I, too, think it must be how guys feel about cars/their toys!

Congrats on the petstore connecton, too!

SocoGirlie said...

Congrats on the new consignment order. And great find with the Singer.