Thursday, July 22, 2010

What's cuter than a baby spider?

Yesterday I checked on the jumping spider momma and her egg sac, and found a few babies starting to crawl out of her silk enclosure. I used tweezers to pull apart some of the silk, and found it full of little wiggling spiderlings! The mother was not pleased at being disturbed, and looked considerably thin. I don't think she ate anything while guarding her eggs, though I did put plenty of appropriately sized prey in the cage.
I removed the silk covering completely, and brought the spiderlings and their mother out to the herb garden behind our house. This area is always teeming with insects, and hopefully will provide enough prey and shelter for these little ones.
Oh, and the answer to the title of this post?
A whole pile of baby spiders.

2 comments:

Ben and Carrie Tracks said...

!!Just came across your blog looking for more info about study-skinning a mole... So glad we found it! Already spent much time looking through all of the old posts :) Do you know what project(s) you'll be perusing in Grad School?

sports handicapping services said...

hello I think that baby or not at all are beautiful spiders