Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Ambushed!

It's a good thing those neighbor boys keep coming over, they always end up finding something I have overlooked.

Look what one of them found today, after I had passed by a patch of queen anne's lace flowers without examining them: one of my favorite insects, the ambush bug (Phymata erosa).
As you can see, she's been put in an enclosure and given some flies to eat. She caught this one after about half an hour.

I did not realize they would be out this early, there is no goldenrod yet, which is where I usually find them. I'll be keeping my eyes peeled now. It's always neat to find ambush bugs in the wild and watch their behaviors - mating, competing for mates/territory, catching prey and sucking it dry... I've seen an ambush bug with a bumble bee in its grip before! They are quite adept at ambushing prey - hence their name.

3 comments:

CrazyPlantLady said...

Thanks for this post...I found one eating a honey bee (Not a good thing) and had never seen them before! Also on the Queen Anne's Lace. I am in Milton, VT. I love your blog and I love bugs!

Anonymous said...

Very good project. Keep submitting posts!

Anonymous said...

We appreciate the data. Congratulations!