Saturday, September 6, 2008

Here fishy fishy fishy...

This shall be my last St. Croix post... some more of my underwater photos! Some of the best ones I actually took with my disposable cameras and are hanging on my wall, but I don't have time to scan and edit them, so here are just a few goodies... these were taken at the conglomeration of sunken tires a short swim from our beach.

French angelfish have a nasty habit of turning away as soon as you try to take a picture, and digital cameras have about a half second delay, but I finally managed to get a good one.This is a most entertaining fish, the dusky damselfish. They are extremely territorial! As you can see, this one got right in my face. They like to feign attacks, and sometimes they actually bite. Once I dove down and felt something pinch my butt - I whirled around to see one of these fish hovering over me as if to say "This is my space! How dare you!"And of course, the adorable little juvenile blue tang (yet bright yellow!). Very hard to photograph as they're quick and shy.Two little blue tangs looking cute swimming together.A nice collection of fish around a part of the tires - I see seargent majors, butterfly fish, blue tangs, goatfish? and a slippery dick (the skinny one in the back, with a horizontal stripe). I swear that's what they're called.And there you have it - part of the underwater scene at my favorite place in the world. The reef half a mile out from our beach is even better, but I didn't get a chance to bring the digital camera out there.

3 comments:

tai haku said...

Your "yellow tang" is actually not a yellow tang, its a juvenile blue tang. Great photo too, as you say they're usually very hard at that size.

Weird Bug Lady said...

Ah, thanks for that! I wasn't sure, as I know the blue tang does have a juvenile yellow phase, but as they're small and fast it's mostly "oh look theres that cute little yellow fish", hehe.

renovia said...

man, do you have a saltwater tank too?????