Wednesday, May 19, 2010

A herd of caterpillars

Some fuzzy things have descended upon my work space - I discovered a stash of fake fur fabric I had forgotten about, and decided to put it to use. I'm preparing for a craft show this weekend, and wanted to make a few more small/simple things.

Here are two American Dagger Moth (Acronicta americana) caterpillars. One is white, one is yellowish... in the wild they come in a range of shades.
My dad said they look rather like sheep. But they've got big spikes!
And note the labels - from now on all of my plushies and drawings, sold through my shop or through shows, will have their taxonomic hierarchy attached.
Ok caterpillars don't actually have eyes with pupils like that... but who can resist?

Two other species I have made are the Hickory Tussock Moth (Lophocampa caryae) and the American Lappet Moth (Phylloderma americana).
These are not in my shop yet, but will be if they don't sell this weekend.

No comments: