Sunday, January 30, 2011

Arrival

The view from my room at Yanayacu.

"Don't worry. A bad beginning is a good ending." - Larry of The Three Stooges, Movie Maniacs, 1936

My trip to Ecuador started with the worst travel day I've ever had. I had developed a slightly sore throat the day before we left, but I figured that was from singing too much while playing Rock Band with my friends. Oh, if I only knew what a forewarning that really was.

I awoke, after a few hours sleep, at 3am to drive to the airport. I traveled with an undergrad from our lab, a week before my advisor was due to join us. First flight went smoothly, I was feeling a bit off, but attributed it to lack of sleep. We landed in Miami for a 5 hour layover. That is when things started going downhill fast. I started feeling chilly, despite my layers. That turned into full on "I am getting sick" chills. Coughing. Stuffy nose. And finally a low grade fever. I was absolutely miserable, for hours, unable to concentrate on a book but unable to fall asleep. I watched CNN on repeat and distracted myself with a few walks around the airport. Finally, it was time for our next flight.

Our take-off was so rough, I felt like we might crash. I was seated next to some students who were off to Ecuador for a whole semester abroad. I wanted to be sociable but I avoided talking to them because I felt so sick and just wanted to sleep. I had taken something for my sinuses earlier, but the fever was coming down swift and strong. I slept only for a little while, the chills were too intense. I had a glimmer of hope as the chills retreated... only to be replaced by nausea. I got the attention of a flight attendant who made up some ice packs for my head and ibuprofin, they were really concerned about me. Oh, did I mention the turbulence? Yeah, there was a lot of it. The descent was horrible, and took a long time. Once we were on the ground, I grabbed the barf bag (and used it - my first time!)

I instantly felt much better. Getting off the plane, I refused the wheelchair and doctor visit the flight attendants had insisted upon. My excitement was premature, as waves of nausea accompanied me through the rest of the night. We got a ride to the research station, which was about three hours of sleeplessness and bumpy roads. By the time we arrived my body had miraculously calmed down. I fawned for a few moments over the giant moths that were attracted to the lights, and promptly passed out.

The photo above is the view I was greeted with when I awoke (though it does not do those mountains justice at all). It was all worth it.

23 comments:

Psi Wavefunction said...

Traveling on a fever is quite the nasty experience, I sympathise with you there! Particularly when it involves sprinting between distant gates on a super tight connection...
(grad school visit + de facto 'interview' on a fever is also unfun: can't make it too obvious that you're rudely spreading diseases, but also can't cancel anything due to all the travel time and money involved...)


Enjoying your non-sick Ecuador posts though! =D

Craig Chilvers said...

I just wanted to leave a comment to say that I enjoy your blog. Looking at the number of comments, I see others feel the same way! Congratulations on a very popular blog.

Marine Loan

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
http://www.oyigifts.com said...

Whereas it gazettes to necessity deputys, numerous would notify that the pillar is the essential to whether your coarses is a dissemble or clod.http://www.oyigifts.com

credit card said...

That was bit funny conversation. I could get an interesting topic to read through this article. Thanks for the share about the scrambled eggs.credit card

contract experience said...

Raspberries, gooseberries, grapes, strawberries, blackberries, and nanking cherries…I share with wildlife and I’m so happy to see bees everywhere this summer!contract experience

myvintage said...

The website is looking bit flashy and it catches the visitors eyes. Design is pretty simple and a good user friendly interface.myvintage

conveyance quote said...

Here i found nice environment to get new ideas and views and the i have read the comments of this blog and these are really nice and it is glad to comment here.conveyance quote

conveyancing quotes said...

Thanks for such informative post.As New Year and Christmas is comming and to buy personalised gift product you should buy to gift your conveyancing quotes

legalrecruitment.net said...

You have done great work, nice to read this interesting post, i want to say thanks for sharing this post.legalrecruitment.net

http://www.postings.com said...

Well, this got me thinking what other workouts are good for those of us who find ourselves on the road or have limited equipment options.http://www.postings.com

80s Costumes said...

Your method of explaining the whole thing in this post is in fact pleasant, every one be capable of effortlessly be aware of it, Thanks a lot.80s Costumes

rent a yacht in maimi said...

Thank you for the efforts you made in writing this post. I am hoping I'll see more great things from you.rent a yacht in maimi

Apple iPhone 7 singapore said...

This post has helped me for an article which I am writing. Thank you for giving me another point of view on this topic. Now I can easily complete my article.Apple iPhone 7 singapore

contract repository said...

Later you compare involving mingle jobs, you could potentially rapport these aged thesis writers.contract repository

modern tile said...

In several organisations additionally, whenever the vacancy starts up, the TES work employees are thought first before it’s advertised outwardl.modern tile

Robert Jennifer said...

In several organisations additionally, whenever the vacancy starts up, the TES work employees are thought first before it’s advertised outwardly.rhinoplasty orange county

tayyab ali said...

I had heard a lot about Willpower show and searched all over the internet to find an article on it. I accidentally came across this article and I found it to be helpful. Thanks a lot for Vintage clothing online

Legal Herbal Online said...

I love read your article thanks my friend agence de location de voiture agadir

tayyab ali said...

admin, update your articles or posts as soon as possible, so that the site is more popular in the Internet world. Thank you for your attention and always expected latest article samsung s9 trade in


Legal Herbal Online said...

This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! keep up the good work escuela de manejo en houston tx

Norton.com/setup said...

Welcome to RealPrinterFix247 right place to online help for HP Printer Tech Support Phone Number offered by best technicians to resolve any issues with HP computers, laptops, printers, desktop, and alternative parable devices, etc. We are remote HP Printer Tech support services for HP users facing a totally different level of technical problems with their Hewlett Packard Enterprise devices like Desktop Computers, Laptops, Printers, Scanners and Tablets business customer support.

Canon Printer Tech Support Phone Number | QuickBooks Tech Support Phone Number | Norton Tech Support Phone Number

jasmyn said...

Many wise players have begun to choose to buy Madden 21 Coins on the website. If you want to learn about Madden 21 Coins, you can easily obtain them through GameMS transactions.