Monday, May 24, 2010

How sad... failure to emerge

Last fall, while I was away at college, my father caught an Io moth caterpillar. He kept it in a cage, and it soon pupated.

I've watched over the cage since I arrived home, not wanting to miss the moment when it emerged.

Finally, today I ripped open the silk covering to get to the pupae itself, to see if it was still alive (the pupae will often wiggle if you disturb them).

Much to my disappointment, the moth had already tried to emerge - and failed.
So sorry you didn't make it, little guy.

2 comments:

Samantha G said...

That is the saddest thing. I love moths' little faces anyway, they're just so cute. So upsetting to see him like this. :(

TheFrogBag said...

Aww, sadness! Cool photos, but it's really too bad that he (she?) didn't make it! :(